Saturday, February 27, 2010

Adventures in stupidity

So, my brothers and I are slowly dealing with my father's estate. We're sorting his belongings and trying to figure out his finances. On Thursday, I went to the bank to close his accounts, and my brother Adam came with me. Earlier in the day, Adam had gone to the bank to take care of his personal finances. While he was there, the bank manager recognized him and asked him for a copy of my father's death certificate. As he happened to have one, he gave it to her and they started chatting. During said conversation, Adam told the bank manager that we were going to let my father's house go into foreclosure. This is at the bank where my father has a home equity loan. Needless to say, they decided to take my dad's account and put it in a note until we go through probate. And, I'm sitting there looking like an idiot because my brother is stupid enough to tell a bank he doesn't intend to pay the mortgage on the house. Man was I pissed. I seriously almost left him at the bank to find his own way home.

That wasn't the end of it though. Yesterday, he called our brother Brian and asked him for a ride to the bank. He also tells Brian that he needs to go to the bank to make a payment on the loan because he doesn't want them to foreclose on the house yet. I can't begin to say how much this frustrates me. It's not like the foreclosure process only takes a day, a week, or a month. It takes a few months to get through this process. It's not like this is the only bank that has a claim to the house either. He's going to stave off one and ignore the other. And, the other has a MUCH greater claim.

The really stupid thing is that my dad was actually going to list Adam as the Executor of his estate.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, you should have left him at the bank! Crazy crazy times I'm thinking of you <3

    ReplyDelete